Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Slashfilm? More like Stealfilm.

I don't write for any film web sites so I am not sure how the "ethics" end of it all works, but I frequent many of them and was disappointed to find that Peter Sciretta of /Film was plagerizing on his well-respected, high traffic site. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I posted a comment noting this, only to find an hour later that my comment had been deleted and I was no longer able to leave comments on the site. I'll leave my opinions out and let you come to your own. Here are two examples of Peter's plagery, in which he not only doesn't put the words between quotation marks, he doesn't even bother to leave a source whatsoever for the words his tried to pass off as his own. That's just lazy and unethical "journalism" and it is actions like this that give online journalists such a bad name.
Click the pictures below to see higher resolution images.



/Film Example 1:



Shamelessly Stolen From Wiki:




/Film Example 2:



Shameless Stolen From Powell's Books:




This is just WRONG and the way Peter dealt with it, instead of acknolewding in and changing it, he just deletes my comment, only makes it more obvious that he is aware and uncaring and treats his readers unprofessionally.

I await a response.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The book synopisis is directly from the publisher. It is actually the official book plot synopisis which is available for repurpose. Powel didn't write that copy, they two are repurposing the text

Unknown said...

Wikipedia's GPL allows repurposing of content, read it.

And By the way, I never deleted your comment, and never blocked you from posting on the site (well, until you started spaming the site with links just now). When anyone, you, my brother, my friend, your sister, posts a link in a comment, it automatically goes into moderation. This help prevents spam. I also tried emailing you after the intial comment to talk to you about the matter, but OF COURSE, the e-mail address you left wasn't real, and my reply was bounced back.

Peter

Unknown said...

Hey, you just pwned.....

You should stop lying...

and stop getting pwned....